So Far, So Good

Blogging the journey...

Monday 22 January 2007

Snowflake Monday

Isn't it gorgeous? It's #1 from McCall's Needlework & Crafts, December 1986. I made it with #20 cotton and a 10 hook and it's come out just over 5" from point to point. That's really a bit big for me, and all 5 patterns are about the same size, so I think I'll make these with #30 or even #40 cotton in future.




Pat Depke Books Crochet Snowflakes & Angel PD-5561 - Snowflake #16And remember I said I'd made an easy one after that? Ha! Sure, crocheting this was simple but what a nightmare to block. Points are easy, you just pin and pull. But try and get nice rounded loops when the SF is so small - only 2" across - you can hardly get your fingers between all the pins required. And look how wonky the centre is. Nope, not happy with this one. Ah well, plenty more to try.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 22 January, 2007 19:27, Blogger Tina said…

    Wow! Both are beautiful! Great job. Your right, the first one is gorgeous. See ya next week!
    Tina

     
  • At 23 January, 2007 00:15, Blogger Sus said…

    That McCall's pattern is just lovely. I have yet to pull out thread finer than #10. Of course, all I have on hand other than #10 is #50, and I don't hate my fingertips that much yet... :)

    Great flakes!

     
  • At 23 January, 2007 22:15, Blogger jmk said…

    Thanks you guys!

    Sus - Have a go at #20 with an 8 steel hook. It'll be awkward for a while but the results will be worth it. Someone recommended working with really fine thread and a tiny hook - after that everything else seems easy! The finest I've used so far is #80 with a 14 hook, but I want to get myself a 16 and use #100. Yeah, mad, I know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

        Older posts                                                                       Newer posts

 
Since January 2006
people have had too much time on their hands